- 3 1–pound whole catfish, whole, cleaned with heads discarded
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- 2ts[ Dill
- ¼ Mint
- 1 Radish
- ½ cup Scallions
- 2 Shallots, medium
- ¾ tsp Palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp Thai chile powder or other hot chile powder
- Roasted rice powder
- Radishes, cabbage wedges, cucumber slices, cilantro, mint and dill sprigs, and lime wedges, (red peppers optional) for serving
- Light a grill and oil the grates. (A stovetop grill will do.) Using a sharp knife, cut 3 shallow slits on each side of the fish and brush with fish sauce; grill over moderate heat, turning once, until white throughout and the skin is crisp, 17 to 20 minutes. Transfer the fish to a baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the lime juice with the palm sugar, chile powder and the 3 tablespoons of fish sauce.
- Remove the skin and meat from the catfish; discard the bones. Pinch the meat into small pieces and transfer to a bowl. Chop the skin into small pieces and add to the bowl with the shallots, scallions and chopped cilantro, mint and dill. Add the lime dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter and sprinkle with roasted rice powder. Serve with vegetables, herbs and lime wedges and pass any remaining roasted rice powder at the table.
There are two things that characterize Sarin — her laughter and her food. Sarin is passionate about food, especially Thai food, and she cooks and teaches cooking traditional Thai with her own twist. Sarin also loves being a wife and mother.